Thursday, September 6, 2007

Response to "Mad Scientist" Vlog

I just viewed a video from the Scratch Video vlog entitled "Mad Scientist." It seems like the Scratch Video vlog is aiming at an audience of people who will create their own videos and who are interested in having their own vlogs. There are a wide variety of videos, and most are centered around a very narrow topic and seem to be personal in nature. The Mad Scientist, for example, shows a young woman vaguely reflecting on life. What really appealed to me about this video was that the woman wasn't portrayed directly; instead, the viewer saw her image reflected in what seemed to be a toaster. I thought it was fitting to combine a non-traditional, reflective view of the speaker as she voiced her reflective thoughts. This combination was really effective in relaying a reflective tone, and I think it encourages the viewer to adopt that frame of mind as they watch. Moreover, the speaker's comments are very vague and general-- even contradictory at times. This works to show that even though it's clearly reflective, each individual could interpret the statements in different ways and apply her thoughts to different areas of life. I like how the video ends when the appliance get plugs in. Usually, an event, activity, or video begins when it is "plugged in"-- in the case of this video, though, "plugging in" marks the end.

No comments: